Monday 23 October 2017

Back home and rig testing

After the serious stuff at the Match lake it was time to return to our little fun water this weekend. The high winds we have been experiencing with Hurricane Ophelia and storm Brian had coloured the water slightly due to the undertow created by the prevailing wind and the long narrow shape of the lake, thus stirring up the clay sediment on the bottom.
I opted to try out a rig modification I have come up with for the Match lake, and though these fish are very far from clued up when it comes to rigs It would still give me an indication as to whether the rig is working as I intend it too.
After a long slow day with little buzzer activity I finally had a take on one of the rods. I had placed this rod away from the usual areas we have been catching from in an attempt to see if I could tempt one of the better fish in the lake. After a short fight a glance in the net confirmed I had managed to score one of the slightly better residents possibly proving my theory right as to the kind of areas they preferred to feed. My test rig also seemed to be working as I intended and therefore will be being used on our next trip to the Match lake later this week. All being well if I can find some feeding fish it will be put to the true test.
The fish itself was slightly pale in colour as expected due to the lack of water clarity, but a pretty specimen nonetheless and heavily scaled on both sides.

 The next few days will be spent preparing to do battle with those famous old wily Yateley Carp! Lets hope they are in a feeding mood and that my modified rig proves difficult for them to deal with!

No comments:

Post a Comment